For those who did not watch the 70th EMMY Award show (and let’s face it – not many of us did), let us run you through every memorable moment the show had to offer.
The opening act
The opening act “We’ve solved it” was a satirical (badly sung) musical number about how the inequality has been solved in Hollywood. Stars (Kate McKinnon, Kenan Thompson, Tituss Burgess, Kristen Bell, Ricky Martin, RuPaul, recent EGOT winner John Legend, and Sterling K. Brown) all made the audience laugh – and it was the number which set the tone of all the jokes and comments about inequality throughout the night.
The night was hosted by Michael Che and Colin Jost – which left the audience in the crowd and at home with mixed reviews about whether they were truly successful at their task. It was a bit forced at times tbh.
But moving on to the winners (or the big ones):
- Supporting Actor in a Comedy Series – Henry Winkler, Barry
- Supporting Actress in a Comedy Series – Alex Borstein, The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel
- Lead Actress in a Comedy Series – Rachel Brosnahan, The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel
This actress made her 42 seconds about the importance of voting and how the power-to-females movement is only just beginning.
- Lead Actor in a Comedy Series – Bill Hader, Barry
- Supporting Actress in a Limited Series or a Movie – Merritt Wever, Godless
- Supporting Actor in a Limited Series or a Movie – Jeff Daniels, Godless
- Lead Actress in a Limited Series or a Movie – Regina King, Seven Seconds
HELLLLL YES SISTER – THE FIRST BLACK WINNER OF THE NIGHT!!!
- Lead Actor in a Limited Series or a Movie – Darren Criss, The Assassination Of Gianni Versace: American Crime Story
- Supporting Actor in a Drama Series – Peter Dinklage, Game of Thrones
- Supporting Actress in a Drama Series – Thandie Newton, Westworld
Her acceptance speech was much talked about. Starting out with an, excuse our French, “I am so fucking blessed” and added a “I don’t even believe in God, but I’m going to thank her tonight.” (Cue Ariana Grande – God is a woman). And most certainly one of the best, if not the best, dressed of the night! Fab! 11/10.
- Lead Actor in a Drama Series – Matthew Rhys, The Americans
- Lead Actress in a Drama Series – Claire Foy, The Crown
- Reality Competition Series – RuPaul’s Drag Race
- Reality Sketch Series – Saturday Night Live
- Limited Series – The Assassination of Gianni Versace: American Crime Story
- Outstanding Comedy Series – The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel
- Outstanding Drama Series – Game of Thrones
BUT THE BIGGEST, MOST MEMORABLE, TEAR-JERKER-OF-A-MOMENT GOES TO: GLEN WEISS.
THE BEST MOMENT
Glen Weiss thanked everyone in his speech after winning the EMMY for producing The Oscars. He ended off the speech by thanking his girlfriend saying “You wonder why I don’t like to call you my girlfriend, because I want to call you my wife.” (MIC DROP. STANDING O.) Watch the full clip here. (We’re not crying, you’re crying).
We can neither confirm, nor deny, that we’ve watched that speech about 10 times.
A few things we take away from the big night:
- There is a comedy series out there that we’ve NEVER heard of and that is one of the big EMMY winners this year – The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel. (Let the binge-watch begin).
- There is a reason why people love Game of Thrones – because it is so FCKING BRILLIANT.
- Proposals in public spaces aren’t all extremely cringe.
- Hosting is harder than it looks.
- RuPaul is the only person who can rock orange boots.
And with that, we’re out.
We cannot all be EMMY winners but at least we can all be TrendE.
*We do not own any of these images nor the copyrights to these images.