thank you, next
“thank u, next” is an innocent but eloquent and enlightening song, you just want to reach through it and hug that tiny ball of love that is Ariana Grande. She is on an entirely different plateau in life that we can all strive to get onto. Her tribute to Mac Miller is especially sad, she calls him an “angel” in the song, basically saying that although it seems like she’s “loved and…lost” she sees it as a learning experience. The song also has a cute, catchy melody you can have a happy and empowered dance to, and we can’t get it out of our heads!
A new form of dis tracks
We’re all aware of dis tracks coming from artists after a break-up or a friendship / deal which didn’t work. And then there’s Ariana Grande. A woman who has been through hell and high water, and still managed to create a song which is so beautiful and inspiring, we feel bad for even thinking about slashing the tires of our ex’s cars.
A low-down on events:
- During her concert in Manchester on the 22nd of May 2017, a terrorist attack took the lives of over 20 people, many of whom were children. This tragedy had a devastating effect on Ariana, who is closely connected to her fans
- Ariana planned a benefit concert “One Love Manchester” in June 2017 to raise funds for the victims of the terrorist attack
- Ariana has a seemingly amicable split with rapper, Mac Miller in early 2018
- Shortly after, she was seen with Pete Davidson (SNL comedian) who she became engaged to after a whirlwind romance
- Grande receives hate from trolls who blame her split with Mac the reason for his actions after the break-up. She tweets a response
- Mac Miller is found dead in September 2018, Ariana becomes silent on all social media, posting a caption-less picture of Mac on Instagram a day after, followed by a touching post a few days later
- Ariana and Pete Davidson call off their engagement October 2018
- Ariana releases song on the 3rd of November 2018, moments before Pete Davidson is due on SNL
2017 and 2018 have been one hectic roller-coaster for Ariana and many fans were worried about her. Especially after she shared that she has been struggling with anxiety due to the terrorist attack. She has given so much respect to the victims of the attack, admitting to feeling badly for even having a reaction to the event because she hadn’t lost a family member. Although for her, her fans are a kind of sub-family, so we can absolutely understand her sadness towards it.
We have MANY things to say about Pete, but the fact that Ariana herself is so mature in how she handles her relationships, makes us want to be better human beans and how we interact with others. “thank u, next” is a deeply personal, emotional, but clear message from a woman who is aware of all her struggles but CHOOSES to see them in a positive light. We’ve all been there – having a seance with our girlfriends to burn every picture, memory, hoodie (okay this is a lie, we’re keeping this), to clear our lives of the ex.
Is it really necessary?
But is it really necessary? We can choose to be negative and wish the worst on the person, but where will that get us? We can’t change the actions of others, but we can choose our reaction to it. Keep those memories, the pictures, and all the time spent with that person who was once so precious to you, they are all part of your journey. Reflect, work on yourself, and invite the next step to happiness into your life.
Take some notes
If you’re going though a break-up, take some notes from Ari. Spend time with your friends, realise how blessed you are to have had love from that ex, to have developed more as a person through that relationship, and to wish them and yourself peace of mind to move on with your lives. Ask for help if you need it, there’s nothing wrong with grieving, but don’t keep it bottled in.
Ariana is proof that we don’t need to be bitter towards our ex’s. Learn from the people who have been in your life, each taught you different things or brought out different qualities in yourself. Ariana honours her ex’s with so much dignity and grace, and chooses to continue seeking happiness in her life.
Our favourite lyrics from “thank you, next”
plus i met someone else,
we having better discussions
i know they say i move on too fast
but this one gon’ last
’cause her name is Ari
and i’m so good with that
Ariana has never claimed to be a role model for younger generations, yet she has many fans who adore her because she is RELATABLE in her imperfections and funny-as-hell memes. We hope South Africa is one of her destinations for the Sweetener work tour! You can call us complete fans of Ari for life <3 This woman has a big open heart, and we don’t deserve her. THANK YOU, ARI
Take a listen to her song and send her some love!