The long-awaited South African summer have finally arrived and this means that we are spending our blissful days leisurely lounging along the coasts of our beautiful country. So much to do and see, yet, so little time! We know that you do not want to spend hours searching for the perfect vegetarian recipe and that is why we compiled (yup, you guessed it!) another yummy list of two easy and quick nutritious recipes to try. We made sure that the ingredients are super accessible as well. Without further ado, grab your chef’s hat and dive in.
Roasted Tomato Soup:
This hearty and healthy soup is the perfect starter to your Christmas meal. It can be made ahead of time, has a perfect velvety-light texture and its rich mouth-watering red colour contrasted by the fresh green basil leaves will play right into the Christmas cheer and colour scheme.
- 15 large tomatoes, quartered
- ¼ cup (+2 tablespoons) vegetable oil, separate
- 8 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 large onion, diced
- 2 cups of water
- Salt to taste
- ½ teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes, optional but highly recommended
- ½ cup heavy whipping cream
- Fresh basil leaves
METHOD TO THE MADNESS:
- While waiting for the oven to preheat to 180°, coat the tomatoes in the garlic and oil (¼ cup). Bake for approximately 15-20 minutes and stir occasionally until the tomatoes are soft. Remove the skins.
- Sauté the onion in the remaining oil until transparent (about 3 minutes). Add the tomatoes, water, salt and pepper flakes. Bring to a boil and reduce the heat. Cover and simmer for thirty minutes.
- Important note: try to stay level-headed regardless of the aroma of heavenly scents that are currently roaming about your kitchen.
- Use a blender to process the soup (do this in batches) until a silky smooth texture is achieved. Return the mixture to the pan, stir in the fluffy cream and heat through. Sprinkle with basil to add a pop of colour.
Sweet Potato and Bean Quesadillas:
Hola amigos! Get your sombreros ready because the next recipe has VIVA Mexican influences. No, it is not too spicy ;). This is the perfect comfort food when you want a quick snack fix over the holidays. Serve with homemade salsa or a leafy green salad to enhance the nutritional benefits of the meal and to keep it light, yet, filling.
- 2 medium sweet potatoes
- 4 whole wheat tortillas
- ¾ cup canned black beans, rinsed and drained
- ½ cup shredded white cheddar cheese
METHOD TO THE MADNESS:
- Wash the sweet potatoes and pierce them with a fork multiple times (sounds violent, we know). Microwave uncovered on a high setting for approximately 8 minutes until they are soft. Turn the over halfway.
- Important note: put on your favourite summer tunes because, let’s face it, food cooked to music just tastes better!
- Cut the potatoes lengthwise in half (take care not to burn your fingers). Scoop out the tender insides and spread it onto one half of each tortilla. Arrange the beans and cheese over the filling and top with the other half of the tortilla.
- Heat a skillet over medium heat and roast the quesadillas for 2 minutes on each side until they are golden brown with melted cheesy goodness on the inside.
Have you tried any of the recipes above or do you have any yummy suggestions for us to try? Let us know in the comments below!